Laser Etching Glass
A CO2 laser engraver is not engraving glass as much as it is actually etching or marking it. And when done right it gives glass a beautiful, sophisticated look. In recent years glass etching has become a growing and in demand CO2 application. Laser machines are ideal for handling and creating beautifully clean, etched glass designs because they're less expensive, offer more flexibility, considerably faster, and easy to manipulate.
But, it is important to note that there's a few tips and tricks to laser etching glass that I cover here later.
Also, compared to traditional glass engraving techniques like mechanical engraving or sandblasting - marking glass via. CO2 laser is considerably more repeatable and efficient.
The end result is a sophisticated, beautifully frosted effect that allows you to take a pice of glass and use it to highlight logos, designs, text or any other image you want etched into the glass surface.
Many glass objects are cylindrical but can still be etched through the use of a rotary attachment. This can be purchased in addition to any Boss Laser machine and will enable the machine to precisely rotate the glassware as the laser etches your custom design.
With the exception of leaded crystal (because of it's metal content) most glass materials can be engraved with a CO2 laser. The best type of glassware to etch is the less expensive everyday type of glass that doesn't have a high lead or metal content.
Popular Glass engraving or marking objects:
- - wine or shot glassware
- - beer mugs
- - champagne flutes
- - glass plaques or frames
- - glass plates
- - vases, jars, and bottles
- - Christmas ornaments
- - personalized glass gifts
- - glass awards
- - mirror
Keep in mind when it comes to etched glass you will want to keep the glassware as cool as possible throughout the etching process. You can also contact us to receive samples if you're interested in seeing what a finished product might look like.
Images are used as visual to show only a few types of materials that a CO2 laser can engrave, etch, or cut. If you have a unique material or would like a laser cut sample feel free and call us for that request.
Tips and Tricks For Laser Etching Glass
- Glass etching with a laser is an art. Due to varying glass types TEST different glass types w/ various speeds and power settings.
- Applying a moist PAPER TOWEL over the glass engraving area will help mitigate chipping and give you a smooth, frosted appearance.
- Alternative to the above you can apply a thin layer of DISH SOAP to the target area and laser etch with the glass surface is still wet.
- When laser etching mirrors laser etch the reverse side of the mirror using the inverse of the file image. It will appear correct in the mirror.
- The best way to etch glass that is has a consistent curved such as a glass or bottle you can use a roller or chuck ROTARY attachment.
- For photo engraving glass PhotoGRAV is a laser software Boss offers ideal for processing photos on any material - especially glass.